Thursday, September 16, 2010

this thoughtful girl

we're driving home from doing a bit of work at the dance studio tonight, and lilly takes the opportunity to share with me (love it when she does that...hope it continues!)

she's a big 5th grader...and she's always taken a lot of responsibility in school, and this year is no exception. she's a safety patroler. and we're into our second week of school and she was sharing some concerns with me.

so i shared what i thought might be a way for her to share her frustration.

she said it sounded like a great idea. she said she liked that she was helping her community. she said she felt proud.

she wrote a letter to the editor:

My name is Lilly Baker. I am a Safety Patroler at S****t Elementary. I get pretty frustrated when people don't turn their turn signals on. I'm just trying to keep people safe and it's kind of hard for me to do my job when people don't let me know that they're turning. Sometimes I tell kids they can cross, and then all of a sudden, a car turns and I didn't know. I would like to remind people to please turn their turn signals on when they are turning. Thank you, Lillian Baker 5th grade

i'm proud of her, too. not because she wrote a letter to the editor. but because she cares so much about those kids and her job that she gets frustrated. and because she shares her frustration with me.


she's a good kid.

and i love her.

No comments: