Tuesday, October 30, 2007

migraine day

it's another migraine day for me today, and another trigger...

so i'm at the fitness center this morning, gearing up for my long workout day (the 2 hour one) - full regime of weights and an hour on the treadmill.

i gather my record sheet (i track the weight machines and how much weight, reps, etc) and head to the machines and turn on my zen (mp3 player). the battery is so low that it turns right back off...great...an hour on the treadmill and i won't have my 80s playlist to keep me going? i think not. so i leave my clipboard by the weight machines and return to the coat rack to put my zen back in my bag. while there, i notice a woman i had just passed in the hallway examining the fitness class schedule and talking to one of the fitness center helpers :) i listen for a bit as i've been hesitant to do one of the classes...then i decide i'll join the conversation.

i'm usually at the fitness center on tuesdays and thursdays at about 915am. there are two classes offered at 930 - fun & fitness and bootcamp. now which of those two do you suppose is better suited for me?? so my first day at the fitness center i inquire about the fun & fitness class, labeled on the descriptions for beginners. i am told that class is in the senior center. um, no. the 'new girl' had just been told the same thing...and is now faced with the same prospect i have faced for the last two months - bootcamp or treadmill? seems like a no brainer.

the fitness center helper talks to the bootcamp leader and says she'll be out to talk to us about the class. she is very kind and helpful and tells us that she'll show us the 'low impact' versions of what the bootcampers do..but that this is a very high intensity class and the people that come really like it that way.

"new girl" and i opt to give it a go...i put my clipboard away, gather my belongings and head to the studio for class.

omg.

i felt like i kept up pretty well, really. the 'regulars' were very entertaining with their whooping, etc. 'new girl' left half way through class. i stayed til the end, doing some adjusted stuff and some of the high impact, too. at the very end, while laying on my back holding a huge pilates ball between my ankles...it hit.

and it's still going...many, many milligrams of my ibuprofen...even my migraine meds, and two naps today have not put it aside. back to the internet for more research. sure enough, yet another migraine trigger.

from one website i found:

"We think migraine sufferers have a heightened neurological system," says Newman. "They're more apt to develop a migraine when anything is out of the ordinary -- when they get up too early, go to bed too late, skip meals, etc." For that reason, Newman suggests that people prone to migraines establish not only a schedule of eating and sleeping regularly, but also of exercising on a regular basis.

this paragraph sums up my life, really. now to continue to find ways to treat it...but one thing is for sure, no more bootcamp for me!

No comments: